Almost 12,000 fitness industry professionals from over 80 countries were in Los Angeles, March 8-11 for IHRSA 2017, the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association’s 36th Annual International Convention & Trade Show.
IHRSA 2017 by the Numbers
• The exhibit hall, with 376 exhibitors, was alive with activity during the two-day Trade Show and early morning workouts.
• Attendees chose from more than 150 educational sessions, networking opportunities, exercise classes, workshops and small-group tutorials.
• Social posts with the #IHRSA2017 hashtag achieved more than 10 million impressions and reached more than 1.4 million people.
• Attendees of the 12th annual Bash for Augie’s Quest learned of groundbreaking research advancements and celebrated almost $3.5 million in funds raised.
Education Highlights Each day was highlighted by an inspiring keynote presentation.
• Seth Mattison spoke about the interaction of workplace trends, generational dynamics and leadership strategies in his keynote: The Relationship Revolution: Building Better Connections in the Digital Age.
• Martin Lindstrom, author, change agent, and brand futurist presented: Forget Big Data, Small Data Defines the Future.
• Attendees were prompted to think more creatively by entrepreneur Johnny “Cupcakes” Earle, founder of the Johnny Cupcakes T-shirt brand, in his session Viral Business: Inspiring Customer Loyalty.
• Soraya Darabi, co-founder of Zady, gave attendees unique insight into how to create their own customized engagement plan to keep members coming back for more.
2017 Award Recipients
Three industry leaders were recognized for their commitment to the industry and for serving their local communities. The Outstanding Community Service Award was presented to FITNESS SF of Corte Madera, California; The Julie Main Scholarship was presented to Ellen Latham, MS, cofounder
and partner of Orangetheory Fitness; and the The Associate Member of the Year was presented to TRX.
Next year’s convention will be held in San Diego, March 21–24.