In this series of articles, the goal is to inform, inspire and teach what it takes to become and be successful in many club industry roles. Let’s begin with one of the most important and highly sought after roles in the industry.
Job Title: General Manager
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in the development of budgets, meet monthly financial goals and metrics
• Analyze reports and financials for variances and take action to improve
• Recruit, train and manage all direct reports (department heads)
• Hold regular team meetings
• Manage all aspects of revenue management (membership Sales and PT)
• Accountable to lead all marketing and prospecting efforts for effective lead generation
• Ensure all standard operating procedures are met
• Meet with all department heads 1:1 weekly
• Deliver and lead exceptional service for club members
• Respond to feedback in timely manner and be visible in club
• Manage overall member retention
• Manage all software, reports and payroll processes
• Oversee all day to day operations including cleanliness
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Knowledge of statistical info gathering and analysis. Supervisory and leadership skills.
Lesson Plan for this role:
Use the following chart to give examples in this specific Club GM role when you might lead versus manage your team
Tips from the Experts in Making this role effective:
1. Communication is key. Regularly send out a weekly update form the desk of the GM. Name it something cool like- Friday Forward – From the desk of……
2. The Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have had them do unto you.” Put yourself in their shoes. Think before you speak. “Seek first to understand, and then be understood.” Stephen Covey – 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
3. Keep training creative and engaging. Plan ahead and use many different types of training.
4. Empower your team. Let them make mistakes. This is how we all learn.
Mill Pond Publishing Inc.
30 Mill Pond Drive
Georgetown, ON L7G 4S6