IHRSA 2018 welcomed fitness industry professionals from around the world to San Diego, CA, to sample the latest fitness equipment and learn how to better their businesses.
Fitness industry professionals from more than 80 countries were in San Diego, CA, for IHRSA 2018, the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association’s 37th Annual International Convention & Trade Show, held March 21-24, 2018.
Attendees experienced the latest equipment and technology during the two-day Trade Show and early morning workouts, attended education sessions given by industry experts, worked out and power walked, networked and socialized at events like the Opening Welcome Reception, sponsored by MINDBODY, The ILC Summit, sponsored by ABC Financial, and the 13th Annual Bash for Augie’s Quest.
IHRSA 2018 by the Numbers
• More than 12,000 industry professionals (health club operators, suppliers, and fitness industry professionals) including over 7,100 Convention and Trade Show attendees.
• Attendees traveled from over 80 countries.
• The exhibit hall, with over 400 exhibitors, was alive with activity during the two-day Trade Show and early morning workouts.
• More than 150 educational sessions, networking opportunities, exercise classes, workshops, and small-group tutorials.
• Social posts with the #IHRSA2018 hashtag achieved more than 49.4M impressions and reached more than 7.2M people.
A Goal Was Set
Noting that there are currently 162 million health club members worldwide, IHRSA Chairperson Derek Gallup announced that IHRSA has set an industry goal to reach 230 million members by the year 2030. Gallup presented a top 10 country list for the highest number of health club members as a percentage of population, as well as the ten countries that saw the biggest increase in membership penetration rates in 2017.
Gallup noted that the biggest competition for health clubs is not other fitness facilities, but the living room couch (i.e., inactivity). “Only 6% of the world’s population has a health club membership,” noted Gallup. “As an industry we can and must do better. It is our mission to increase the number of people globally who are physically active.”
Additional Convention highlights included:
• Four keynote presentations from Lisa Bodell (sponsored by Myzone), Leah Busque (sponsored by Technogym), Josh Linkner (sponsored by Matrix Fitness), and Isaac Lidsky (sponsored by Daxko).
• The 22nd Annual IHRSA Financial Panel moderated by Rick Caro.
• The 21st Annual ILC Summit (sponsored by ABC Financial) and Reception.
• The 9th Annual Women’s Leadership Summit (sponsored by Daxko).
• The 13th Annual Bash for Augie’s Quest, which raised a record $6 million for ALS research and presented Kevin McHugh of the Atlantic Club with the 2018 Augie’s Quest Leadership Award.
• Jim Worthington, of Newtown Athletic Club, was elected to IHRSA Board Chair for the 2018/2019 year.
• Three new directors were welcomed to the IHRSA Board: Monica Marques of Companhia Athletica, Brazil; Michele Melkerson-Granryd of Castle Hill Fitness, U.S.; and Chris Craytor of acac Fitness & Wellness Centers, U.S. And two Board members, Gustavo Borges of Academia Gustavo Borges and Jim Zupancic of Stafford Hills Club, were thanked for service as they leave after this year.
• Translated sessions were offered in Chinese (sponsored by ChinaFit), Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
2018 Award Recipients
• The Distinguished Service Award was presented to Dr. Art Curtis.
• The Outstanding Community Service Award was presented to Sisters Athletic Club.
• The IHRSA Woman Leader Award was presented to Kristen Green, Aquafit.
• The Associate Member of the Year Award was presented to Myzone.
Criteria, past award winners, and applications for next year’s awards are available on the awards page.
IHRSA 2018 Resources
• Audio (MP3) and video recordings of approximately 70 IHRSA Convention sessions will soon be available for sale in the IHRSA Store. Store order forms can be downloaded here.
• Official show images are available for a limited time at thephotogroup.com, access code: ihrsapress18, or take a look at the Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday recaps in photos and videos.
• For IHRSA Live video interviews from IHRSA 2018 exhibitors.
Toll Free: 1.888.920.6537
Mill Pond Publishing Inc.
30 Mill Pond Drive
Georgetown, ON L7G 4S6